Descriptive statistics help us understand the overall structure of data, and SQL is the most widely used language for manipulating it. Together, they can help data analysts derive better insights and make far-reaching predictions. This course provides an overview of basic descriptive statistics and the SQL commands you need to know to summarize data sets, find averages, and calculate variance and standard deviation. Instructor Dan Sullivan also introduces more detailed analysis techniques using discreet and continuous percentiles to help segment data, and correlations between variables to identify relationships. He concludes with an introduction to linear regression, a widely used predictive analytics technique.
Principal Engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, Author and InstructorDan Sullivan, PhD, is an enterprise architect and big data expert.
Dan specializes in data architecture, analytics, data mining, statistics, data modeling, big data, and cloud computing. In addition, he holds a PhD in genetics, bioinformatics, and computational biology. Dan works regularly with Spark, Oracle, NoSQL, MongoDB, Redis, R, and Python. He has extensive writing experience in topics including cloud computing, big data, Hadoop, and security.
Skills covered in this course
For each course you will get
- Exercise files and quizzes
- Certificate of completion from LinkedIn
- Offline and audio-only options
- [Dan] Hi, I'm Dan Sullivan, and in this course, I'll be describing how to use SQL for statistics. We'll start by reviewing the basics of descriptive statistics, like sum, average and standard deviation. We'll cover how to use discrete and continuous percentiles to bucket data. We will explore ways to identify and understand relations between variables or columns within rows, as well as across rows. We'll also delve into more advanced functions for making predictions with linear regression. So let's take a look at statistics in SQL.
Practice while you learn with exercise files
Download the files the instructor uses to teach the course. Follow along and learn by watching, listening and practicing.
- Ex_Files_SQL_Statistics_EssT.zip (104858)
- Glossary_SQL_for_Statistics_Essential_Training.zip (104858)
Download the exercise files for this course. Get started with a free trial today.
Download courses and learn on the go
Watch courses on your mobile device without an internet connection. Download courses using your iOS or Android LinkedIn Learning app.
Watch this course anytime, anywhere. Get started with a free trial today.